IPA Master RGB Transparent Background 003

IFA members who are working in the insolvency sector are able to take IPA exams or JIEB exams through the Insolvency Practitioners Association.  There are two routes available to you:

JIEB exams

IFA members can register with the Insolvency Practitioners Association (IPA) as student members to take JIEB exams.  There are no educational standards required before an application can be made to sit the JIEB exams.  However, the exams test the practical knowledge and skills which a licensed insolvency practitioner would gain through their day to day working life, so it is recommended that candidates do not attempt the examination without at least three years' practical insolvency experience covering each of the areas to be examined.

IPA exams: an 'intermediate examination'

The IPA offer three exams which are seen as an 'intermediate examination', they are seen by many as a stepping stone to the JIEB.  These three exams are:

  • Certificate of Proficiency in Insolvency (CPI - corporate and personal insolvency)
  • Certificate of Proficiency in Personal Insolvency (CPPI - to be taken should the candidate wish to specialise in just personal insolvency)
  • Certificate of Proficiency in Corporate Insolvency (CPCI - to be taken should the candidate wish to specialise in just corporate insolvency)

The IPA requires individuals to register as student members of the IPA to take these exams. Although not essential, the IPA recommends that students who wish to sit one of these exams have a minimum of at least two years practical insolvency experience.  The IPA also recommends that students attend structured training courses.

Candidates can sit the exams in June of each year.  There is also an additional sitting for CPI in November/December of each year.

Further details can be found on the IPA website.